Ok, now this is a genuine question because maybe I’m old-fashioned or it could be that I was brought up by parents who installed the right things into me, but am I just mature beyond my years? I sometimes feel like I am a really old soul in a young body. Let me tell you why I had this sudden thought come into my head.
I was on Facebook (Time wasting, I know) and I saw this picture that an old friend of mine had put on his wall and shared with his girlfriend. It was an ultrasound picture and I was a little concerned as the baby looked about 12 – 14 weeks and his girlfriend turned 16 in July. You do the math…
Anyway, thinking this was a prank I left it and went to university. I came home about 40 minutes ago and went back on Facebook (I know, sad). That was when I saw that this was in fact real and that she was 12 weeks pregnant. Now, the reason I am asking if I am mature beyond my years is because:
- My parents would have killed me for getting pregnant before I was 16
- I would have hated myself for getting pregnant at such a young age because I could not have provided for the baby or myself
- I would feel like I failed as a parent if my future child got pregnant at 15/16
- A child cannot have a child
My parents always told me to be careful, to follow the rules (Don’t have sex before 16) and I have never wanted to let my family down, I wanted something better from my life and so having a child before 21 never crossed my mind.
My parents always told me that if I was being sexually active that I should use many forms of protection. I mean it is not like there isn’t an array of options out there, but still a 15-year-old gets pregnant.
My parents told me that a child is hard work and that you should live your life before you basically give it all up for your child. I want a life and an education before I give it up for my children.
So am I just mature beyond my years in thinking that there is no way that I would have sex without protection in place? Am I mature beyond my years for thinking that children shouldn’t be having children?
I mean when my mother heard about this, she said “that it shows a lack of responsibility and maturity on both sides and how on earth is she going to survive and raise a child in the society in which we live at the moment? Children are expensive and the next 18 years of your life are theirs. I don’t condone abortion, but in a situation like that, it may be a thing to consider.”
My mother has told me things like that since I was little and shows like 16 and Pregnant or Teen Mom tell us that being pregnant and being a mum at a young age is so difficult that it shouldn’t be attempted. Babies aren’t something that you can play with for a few hours and hand over to someone else. They take money, time and effort. Basically kiss goodbye to sleep.
So am I just mature beyond my years?
- MTV Brings the Original ‘Teen Mom’ Cast Back for Two Emotional Specials in October (tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com)
- Parenting 101: how to teach by example and stay real (examiner.com)
- Pregnant mums to get jabs after whooping cough outbreak (itv.com)
- ’16 & Pregnant’ Star Reveals Adorable Baby Name (celebs.gather.com)
- The Costs of Having Children (aptusinsurance.com)
- Does Facebook Know You’re Pregnant? (adage.com)